Berry Lemon Quinoa Breakfast Bake Recipe – fANNEtastic food | Registered Dietitian Blog
I’m excited to share this fresh and summery Berry Lemon Quinoa Breakfast Bake recipe with you guys today! It’s lemony, bright, and perfect for brunch – give it a shot over the weekend and then enjoy the leftovers all week.
This quinoa bake is a great alternative to baked oatmeal – although I do love my old fave Simple Baked Oatmeal recipe – if you’re looking to mix up your breakfast routine. And since quinoa is high in both protein and fiber, this quinoa bake makes for a super filling breakfast or snack.
I love how flexible this recipe is, too. During the summer, it’s a great way to use up berries that are on sale (or a great recipe to make after going berry picking!), but it’s equally great with frozen berries in the winter. It would also be amazing with diced peaches, plums, apples, and more – the options are endless! Similarly, I’ve used both vanilla almond milk and regular whole milk in this recipe and both are tasty – so feel free to use whatever you have on hand. The vanilla almond milk adds a little extra flavor, but the whole milk will add some extra protein!
Ground flaxseed can also be replaced by chia seeds, if you like, and you can switch up (or omit) the nut topping as well. I told you – so many possibilities. Get creative, my friends!
MY OTHER RECIPES
If you’re looking for a baked berry breakfast you can pick up and take with you on the go, you’d be better off with a recipe like my blueberry oatmeal power bites. This baked quinoa holds together enough to cut into slices and eat with a fork, but it’s not dense and heavy. The quinoa cooks up light and fluffy, with bursts of sweet-tart berries throughout. It’s great served warm out of the oven and sliced, mashed with extra milk as a hot cereal, or cold with yogurt or cottage cheese on top!
Here’s the full recipe:
Lemon Berry Baked Breakfast Quinoa
5 min Prep Time
1 hr Cook Time
1 hr 5 mins Total Time
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk or whole milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8 x 11-inch baking dish.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients (eggs through vanilla) in a large bowl. Add the quinoa and flax and stir.
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish, spreading to evenly distribute the quinoa. Sprinkle the berries and almonds evenly on top of the mixture.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until the center is set and doesn’t shake when moved.
Looking for more breakfast & brunch recipes? Here are some of my favorites!